8/02/2009

The 56 Files: Part 1 (Take this Tune)

Sorry about the inconsistent messages in regards to Mr. Linky...I was utterly confused. Here it is in full detail.

My name...well, I won't tell you my name. My number in the Organization is 56. I work for an organization you've probably never heard of-- it's a subset of the CIA. I usually walk in with only half a page of information and manage to wrangle my way along. I haven't been killed yet--I guess it works. However, that James Bond has all the breaks. I've never once met a Russian girl who fell in love with me at first sight. Fell on me, yes, but that was an accident. Anyway.
I was contacted while at a carnival for my most recent mission. I had taken my niece, Ellie, to see the park's opening. Honestly, I wanted to try the Daredevil Dive, a roller coaster reputed to make six of ten reviewers sick to their stomach, but Ellie was more interested in the Ferris wheel and being allowed to sit in the dunk tank. In the distance, a Baptist choir was singing some old Gospel tunes. I heard 24, rather than saw her, come up behind me. "56," she breathed. "What are you doing here? I was about to call you anyway."
"Hello, 24," I whispered back, smiling. 24 was the girl who had recruited me to the Organization in the first place. "What's this about calling me?"
I turned, and we were face to face. "One of our more visible men in the Porivian government was found shot in the head yesterday. They're calling it suicide, but there's more to it than that. I know that, and you know that. I want you to find out why he died, and what he had discovered. Clear?"
I held up a hand, alarmed. "Whoa. I know very little about Porivia. Why me?"
She smiled, a glint of white in the dark. "I can give you more information at the office, but you're the first agent I call in. You're the best I have, 56 ." I smiled at that, and was about to ask a second question, but 24 had disappeared.
As I gathered Ellie and we made our way out the entrance to the park, the choir had switched to classic show tunes. "It's a grand night for singing, the stars are bright above," I hummed to myself.
"What's that you're humming?" Ellie asked.
"It's called 'It's a Grand Night for Singing.' Want to learn it?"
"Sure!" She was still young enough to enjoy old songs, but old enough to carry a tune. Perfect year for taking care of kids.
As we walked to the Jeep, Ellie still singing, I thought again of the lyrics to the song: "...maybe the reason I'm feeling this way has something to do with you," and thought of 24, then blushed. Hopefully Ellie couldn't see it in the dark.

3 comments:

  1. That was enjoyable and imaginative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh a spy story. That was wonderful. Do let me know what happens in Porivia. Thank you for participating in the first Take This Tune.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I had no idea my daughter was so good at this stuff! Move over Tom Clancy!

    ReplyDelete

Followers